What we think
JWA Christmas Quiz
Last week we hosted the inaugeral JWA Christmas quiz. A convivial event for friends new and old – with much opportunity for quaffing of mulled wine, scoffing mince pies and casual accusations of cheating.
This year we've been lucky to gain some fabulous new tennants and friends at our space in Dalston. New design studio, The Design Kollektiv, and fashion designer, Rebecca Street. So far, so mild sounding – not so! Quizzing often brings out our most animal side. And that Wintery Thursday night was no exception. To see if the quiz brings out the same feelings in you and your colleagues we've included a selection below. Enjoy:
1-10. [see pictures] Each line of emojis represents a cultural object. It might be a film, a painting, a sculture, a tv show etc... What are they?
11. Food trend of the year, ‘Poke’, originates from where?
12. Mark, Jason, Howard and Gary. Who’s missing?
13. Put the following in order, largest to smallest: a stoat, a ferret and a weasel.
14. Eating a dish ‘alle sepia’ means what about its preparation?
15. What nationality is Timothy Dalton?
16. The 2018 Winter Olympics is due to take place in what country?
17. LED stands for what?
18. Baloney (a processed meat) as in ‘that’s baloney’ is a bastardisation of what?
19. The genre Bossa Nova is from which country?
20. What nationality is the 2017 Nobel Prize for Literature winner?
21. What is the collective name of films that come out of Nigeria?
22. The Wigan Casino was the centre of which cultural movement in the 70/80s?
23. The Lhasa Apso dog originates from which country?
24. What is the Turing Test said to prove?
25. What is the highest-grossing film of 2017?
26. Which London Underground Line reaches the following stations: Elm Park, Southfields and Embankment
27. Lily Allen, Kenneth Williams and William Hogarth were all born in what modern London borough?
28. "Dressed smart like a London Bloke / Before he speak his suit bespoke / And you thought he was cute before / Look at this peacoat, tell me he's broke" who rapped these lyrics?
29. Walbrook, Effra, Fleet are all what?
30. Split over two boroughs, what London postcode would you use to write to St Thomas’s Hospital, Ministry of Sound, Tate Modern and Maltby Street?
WHO SAID WHAT
“Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don’t know what to do. Love!”
“The day we lost our Nations Rose
Tears we cried like rivers flowed,
The earth stood still
As we laid her to rest,
A day you & I Will never forget
The people's princess
Who came to see,
The love from a Country
We'd hope she'd lead”
“No one told me judging a #gbbo final would be so emotional. I wanted them all to win. Bravo Sophie.”
"You can't create a self-sustaining civilization on Mars if the ticket price is $10 billion per person."
“A bobbit. A giant carnivorous worm with jaws as sharp as daggers. It has an ancestry that stretches back more than 400 million years. It is a metre long”
36. What favourite drink is shared by ‘David Lynch’ and ‘Joey, Rachel, Chandler, Phoebe, Ross and Monica’?
37. What name links the last (‘16) Turner Prize winner and a brand of boot traditionally popular with skinheads?
38. What links a 1945 opera by Benjamin Britten with a urban subculture recently famous for its endorsement of Jeremy Corbyn
39. What links a 1958 play by Samuel Beckett and a popular dice game played in casinos?
40. What mode of transport links Jez Butterworth’s latest play at the Royal Court and the band Roxy Music?
41. What two letters link a 90s soft toy collectible phenomena and the frontman of a 2017 Glastonbury-headlining band?
42. The homophone linking an art museum in County Durham and a premium audio speaker manufacturer.
43. What word and name links a popular West Indian snack, and an American singer and songwriter often called the ‘Punk Poet Laureate’
44. What name links the author of War and Peace and a global ad agency whose clients include Macdonalds, Co-op and Kelogg’s
45. What links the director of Thelma & Louise and an earthy street market in Dalston?